Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hiking Pinecrest Peak

One of the places I visted this summer was Pinecrest Lake, CA. My dad, sister, and I took a long hike up Pinecrest Peak, through Cloe's Back which is a land-marked trail, in hopes of reaching the valley yonder for good fishing. Alas we did not make it. Sadly I was wearing inadequate shoes and the soles begin to fall off by the time we reached the wet granite vertical slabs that leads to a pass into the valley. Not a good combination lol.

But I'm proud of the elevation gain we did that day. Seven miles and nearly 4,000 ft gain :) Not to mention the amazing views. 



Wolf Lichen 





My dad fishing :)




Pinecrest Lake


Mule Deer 


My Dad and little sister Brenna


The falls at the base of Cloe's Back. The falls really run over several miles up the peak and it was amazing to see all the white water rushing and smashing into the granite. Throughout the whole hike we were walking among the falls as we rock climbed the land marked trail. 


View from half way up Pinecrest Peak!



Subalpine Painted Bush (Castilleja lemmonii) and wild flowers growing from a small patch of dirt cover on the granite. 




It was awesome hiking among the vertical granite slabs. I had to pull a cliff hanger move several times to save time. The views were awesome. Too bad for my shoes!


View of Pinecrest peak from the fall's point of view.


The falls in a flatter terrain on the way up.


This is where I ended up having to call it quites. My converse had been soaked the whole hike and the soles started to fall off. In the horizon you can see the tree break on the edge of the valley we were trying to get too. So close, yet so far!



The view heading back down the peak. 




This trail was a lot of fun but very difficult. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have experience with rock climbing and scared of heights. There were many points among the climb were you're climbing wet slabs of granite that are nearly vertical...which I didn't mind too much. It's just if you fall, you're falling into the falls and I doubt anyone could survive that mistake lol. 

I did see tons of wildlife on this hike, but most of the time I was taking pictures and trying to catch up to my companions lol. There were many Blue Orchard Manson Bees and Leaf Cutter Bees founded among the fallen pine on our side of the peak. I spotted bob cat scat, mountain lion tracks, and observed many interesting insects and plant life. I also saw a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox) off the side of the trail. I was bummed not to get a picture of him as he was sun bathing. 

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are so cool. I really want to check this place out!

    (this is eric)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! It's way off the map, but totally worth it, and Yosemite is in the area too. If you check it out, go in the spring, cus it's in the peaks and the granite get's really slippery :)

    ReplyDelete